Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Playing Tourist for the Day



Well it has been a very long week of training, full of classes, shadowing, job site and school attachment. But thanks to my host mom Sam and I were able to relax a bit this weekend. Marilynns sister works for the tourisms department here and was able to get us two spots on a tubing trip down the Layou River that is normally reserved for the tourists who come in on the cruise ships.

It was really fun, nothing like rafting back home. It was calm, pretty much just sitting in a tub floating down the river. So relaxing!!! Plus it was kind of fun to play tourist for the day. We meet them at the dock and got on the bus with 30 tourists from the ship. Then we drove to the river, the bus ride was really different than the local rides, and it was about half the speed and craziness that I am use too.

It was pretty entertaining to hear the comments they all made as we drove through the villages and all the assumptions they made along the way. I guess it made me realize how much I have learned in only 2ish months of being here. And I cant help but wonder how much more I will know in 6 months, a year, and after I leave in 2.

Once we got to the river we got helmets, life vests and got in the tubes. (Yeah we were looking good for sure) There were guides every step of the way, so I pretty much zoned out and enjoyed the river. At the end we got complementary drinks! Oh the live of a tourist!!!

By the time we left everyone knew we werent actually tourists so we answered questions about Dominica and the Peace Corps all the way home. It was nice to dispel some of the myths we hear on the way up. I also got to ask some questions about cruises, like if they leave you behind of you miss the boat.

Its good information to know because there is this guy outside the PC office that plays this little guitar all day and sings so quietly that you can only hear him if you are 2 feet away. Anyways Im pretty convinced he was once left behind on a ship and the only logical thing for him to do was to become a street performer. Either that or he is a Peace Corps Volunteer that never went back home

No comments:

Post a Comment