Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010

One small step for most people One giant leap for Mary



So yesterday was my first day off since leaving the United States. And it wasnt really supposed to be a day off I was supposed to meet with my counterpart from my job, but he is out of town all this week so I got the day off instead. So I got to sleep in and have a lazy morning, which was nice considering I get up most days at 6:30 and Im on the go all day.

But eventually I got a little restless and bored of being in the house. So I decided to go visit Rashawna and Marcus in Marigot, which is about 20 miles away from Portsmouth. Now in the US this really wouldnt be a huge deal right, you just get in your car and drive over to your friends house. Well, it was a big deal for me and I was actually a little nervous about getting there and back home again.

First I had to find the right bus to Marigot, not really an easy task considering there are no official bus stops here. Then I had to make it through the hour bus ride (yep thats right here 20 miles equals and hour bus ride) through the winding roads in the jungle. Its pretty but man its not so fun for those of us who are inflicted with carsickness. Then find Rashawna in a town I have never been in before. But guess what I did it all!!! I was very proud of myself, so funny for such a small task really. I couldnt help but think One small step for most people One giant leap for Mary

Marigot was fun, we went to the beach, again, and yes I do actually work here its not all beach visits. It was really different from the beach in Portsmouth; we had to hike for 20 minutes down these crazy mud steps to get to the beach. But once we were there it was really cool, it felt like a private beach.

All in all it was a good day for me, but I was exhausted by the time I got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment