Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Its Official!



Well its official now, I am an official Peace Corps Volunteer!!! I am no longer a trainee because yesterday we had our swearing in ceremony! Its so crazy to think that I started this whole process over a year ago and now here I am living in Dominica as a PCV!

The ceremony started with a prayer, as do all the official events and meeting here, follow by the singing of Dominicas National Anthem and the American National Anthem. Then our APCD Patrick spoke and the Country Director, Margo. Mostly just a brief overview of what Peace Corps is and what they are doing on the island, followed by a congratulations to the soon to be volunteers.

Then our host families were recognized. Really without them the transition would have been much harder for all of us. They all got to come onto the stage and receive a certificate from the PC thanking them for all they do. Both my host parents were able to attend so that was really great to see them up there.

After that it was time to take the official oath. We all had to stand on the stage and raise our right hands and swear in as official volunteers. I felt a little dorky up there with my hand in the air repeating the oath, but it was actually really cool when you think about it. Then we got our certificates and our Peace Corps IDs, a pin and a patch. Like I said Im official now!

Then came the part I was most nervous about. We had to give a presentation in Kreyol, the local language here. We decided to do a skit on what we have experienced so far on the Island. Here was my line:

Flex, Mwen pa yon etyodyan Ross. Mwen se yon ofisya Peace Corps eve jodi a nott ka organize yon jou spo an pak-la nou vle tout moun vini.

Basically I said:

Flex (the host of our radio talk show) Im not a Ross Student, I am a Peace Corps and we are having a sports day in the park tomorrow and everyone should come.

Its a running joke here that everyone thinks just because I am white and living in Portsmouth I am a Ross student (it is an American medial school here in Portsmouth), in fact I dont even have to find buses to come home from the capital, they find me.

The skit actually went really well and we got a lot of laughs out of the crowd. Following the skit Alex did our vote of thanks in Kreyol , she did a great job and everyone could even understand what she was saying. And that was it. We had refreshments after and I was able to spend some time with my host mom.

And to end the day, all the volunteers on Dominica got lunch together. Which was nice, we were able to relax and chat and just enjoy the idea that we are now official Peace Corps Volunteers!!!

Good by training and hello working!

No comments:

Post a Comment