Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What do you do in the Peace Corps?



Well I know it has been a little while since I last updated my blog, and for a few days now I have been wanting to update it and tell everyone about my job here on Dominica, the only problem is  Im not really clear what it is yet. Dont get me wrong, I know why I am here and I keep myself busy everyday but I have yet to find that one project that stands out from the rest. I guess I will tell you what I do know rather than what I dont:

I am attached to the Town Council here in Portsmouth. The Town Council is the local government here in Portsmouth and maintains the town. I stop by the office three times a week to help with daily work. Mostly preparing bills, attending the council meeting, things like that. However I am too new to take on larger projects as of right now, which is eventually the goal of my Peace Corps work. For now I am just trying to earn trust and get to know people.

Also the other larger set back, other than being a new young American that no one knows, is things here in Dominica move at a different pace then I am use to back home. That is to say, things move slower here, a lot slower. Im not saying they dont get things done here in Dominica; there is just a different focus then back home. And it takes a lot of time to build relationships and to earn the trust of the community, it also takes a long time to plan actives and get things done. By the time I get home, I will be the most easy-going person you have ever meet. I thought I was patient before, but that is tested here everyday.

I am also attached to Roosevelt Douglas Primary School. I visit the school at least once a week, if not more, and work with the students there. Right now my main focus is with one of the first grade classes, you can see the photos of the kids and me. Some days I grade papers, some days I read to the kids, and some days I help some of the students who are falling a bit behind. Mostly giving them one on one time with tests and projects. Every time I am there I am nearly knocked over when I walk in the doors by 40 or 50 kids who all want hugs. :)

One of my main goals that I want to accomplish at the school is setting up the library, the school is a brand new, they have been open for a year, and the library has still not been set up. However like I said before things move slower here. The lady who is working on the library has been on vacation since I got here, so I am still waiting on her return to start this project.

When I am not at the town council or RDPS I fill my time with as many other activities as I can. For example today I just got back from volunteering at CARE for the elderly. Today we did Meals in Wheels and distributed soup, rice, and bread all over Portsmouth. On Friday I went to a near by village named Cottage and helped a friend put on a movie night for the youth in the area. And soon I hope to start going to a Steel Drum group and learn how to play. Every week I also take a trip into town to get mail and visit the bank, and do shopping. And on top of it all I am teaching myself how to cook the food here, and we all know I dont really enjoy cooking that much. There are tons of other random things I do here but like I said Im still trying to work towards a bigger project.

I dont know if that made any sense to anyone but me. Its really hard when someone asks you what you do in the Peace Corps because there are so many different elements to it. Not only do I work here, but I am also trying to learn a new culture and integrate into the community. Everyday I do something new, I meet new people, I learn something new about Dominica and about myself, and everyday I have to remind myself to take it one small step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment