Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

On My Own Again



Well the day has finally come; I am now living in my own apartment here in Dominica! I moved out of my host familys house yesterday in the pouring rain after going to the market in the rain to stock my new house with fresh fruits and veggies! I spent the entire day yesterday cleaning and unpacking and was able to transform this tiny apartment into a home by the end of the day. I think its going to be a great place to live for my two years here.

I live right in the heart of Portsmouth, directly across the playing field, a 20 second walk to my school attachment and a 2 min walk to my job. Everything I need is a short walk away, from the bus stop, to shops and restaurants, and everything in between. There is also a little restaurant close by that has pizza on Friday nights! What a great place to be living.

My apartment is attached to my landlords house. Their house is L shaped and my little place is under one side of the L. We have a little courtyard with grass and flowers, and a cement wall surrounds the entire place (doesnt sound nice but it is), just out side the gate there are more beautiful flowers. I have my own gate that I use and my own little porch to sit out on and lime (chill).

I have a one-bedroom, one bathroom apartment. The living room, dining room and kitchen are all in one. ☺ I have wireless Internet!!! Cable TV (yeah I know I just said I have cable TV  crazy!) And the Pice de rsistance, I have hot water!!!!! I took my first hot shower yesterday since leaving the Untied States. It was lovely!!!! It will probably cost me an arm and a leg but oh well its so worth it!

Last night was my first night sleeping in a place all on my own since I moved home from Fort Collins. Im not gonna lie, it was a little hard to fall asleep, I guess I just felt a little lonely after constantly being around people for 8 weeks straight. But I finally did fall asleep, after a bit of skyping, chatting with the other volunteers, and some TV to distract me, and I slept well through the whole night. And in the morning it felt great to wake up in my own apartment.

All in all its an amazing place to live and I am very happy to be here. I also uploaded lots of photos and a video tour!

Oh and special thanks to Aunt Patti and Uncle Al, the gorgeous piece of art hanging in my living room is all thanks to them. What would an artist house be with out a little art on the walls right? It really makes my house a home!

No comments:

Post a Comment