Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Caribbean Beach is my New Best Friend



So Im not really sure Im going to be good at the whole blogging thing so many things have happened sense the 13th and I have no idea how to get them into a few paragraph blog entry.

First I now am living in the Eastern Caribbean! Woot Woot!!! After we left Miami we flew to St Lucia were we have been in training for the past few days. Basically we all sit in classes all day together learning about the Peace Corps, how to stay safe, and about the Caribbean in general.  It makes for really long days, but the info is great. We all have meals together, which are amazing! The food here is great! Lots of veggies, fruits and fish, I love it! Then we all hang out at night, playing catch phrase, watching the Olympics, and dont tell Brooklynn but we do go swimming! Amazing!!!!!

On Saturday I fly to Dominica to go live with my host family for seven weeks of training before getting sworn into the Peace Corps. And just today I learned where I will be living and the winning city is Portsmouth!!! The second largest city in Dominica.

I will be working with the Portsmouth Town Council! Their mission is to maintain a clean and safe environment for the health and well-being of all resident and visitors to the municipality.

So of my activities include:
-Capacity Building
-Serve as an advisor to the council
-Assist with management
-Developing strategic plans
-Assist with Fundraising activities
-And help teach computer skills

Habitat has really trained me well for this so I am so excited to start work there.

This has all been so much these past few days, its almost overwhelming. But the beach, the people, the support if my family, and the amazing experience are getting by far out weighing the craziness of this whole Peace Corps thing.

Ill try and write again before I leave St. Lucia because I dont know if I will have Internet during my seven-week training.

For now I will leave you with a photo of the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment