Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

Last Days in St Lucia



So yesterday we got to leave the classroom for a while and go into town to do a scavenger hunt. Nothing to crazy just finding things like the post office, the library, and learning how the bus system works here. It was a great experience!

On the bus from the Peace Corps office we met a really nice local, Lisa, who looked over our entire list and walked us from place to place. And along the way she told us more about Dominica and the islands in general. With her help the scavenger hunt took us way less time then it would have just on our own, so we decided to make the ice cream shop, (that was on our list) our last stop and buy her some ice cream. We ended up hanging out with her there for an hour before we went back to the center where we are staying. She gave us so much great information, but I think the funniest thing she said was when she asked why we were in St. Lucia, and we told her Peace Corps, her response was  Why would you do that? Did they test you before to find out if you crazy. I guess she though we were a little crazy for leaving for two years. (And I think we all secretly wonder the same thing from time to time).

Another other funny thing that happened while in town, Sam, a girl from our group, needed to stop in a local hardware store to find an adapter. Turns out they dont use the Caribbean adapter, they us the British one (so thanks Daddy for getting the kit that had different kinds in it) ☺ Anyway, so Sam went up to the counter to pay and asked how much it was in Eastern Caribbean dollars, and the lady answered 15 EC. Then Sam asked, how much in American dollars (cause she had more of that at the time), and they lady said 15 as well, and that they dont change the price between the different kinds of money.  We all thought this was a little funny because $15 American is almost three times the amount it would be in EC. I just wonder how many people they get to pay the extra? I know there were two cruise ships in port while we were there and I know most of those people dont carry EC money. In fact I watched an American family pay $5 for an ice cream that we paid $5 EC for. But they totally cut us in line and didnt say a thing so maybe that was their karma or something. Wonder if mine is gonna get me for not telling them?

We also stopped at local craft market, and that was really cool to see the things they make here. I didnt get anything because my baggage was right on weight coming here so if I add anything to it I will most likely have to pay to get it to Dominica. The Peace Corps has already given us a three-inch binder full of documents that I going to have to carry on. So much to read!!!!! And here I am blogging instead, ha!

Well I think that is plenty to read for now. So peace out for now, see you when I have internet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment