Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Start of Training



Well where to start, so much has happened sense my last post. Well I guess I will start by saying I am safe in Dominica living with my host family. Getting here was a very interesting adventure to be sure. First we left St. Lucia and flew to Barbados then to Dominica. Dont ask me why Barbados was where we had our layover considering we went past Dominica on the way  but what do I know right. All I know is I can add it to my list of places I have been, even if it was just for 3 hours right. And second, Im just going to say the little planes that we took here were not as bad as I thought they would be, however they did nothing to help with my irrational fear of planes. Enough said on that one

Once we got to the airport we were welcomed by the current volunteers on the island and our host families. Wayne, my host dad was there to get me. Wayne happens to be a taxi/bus driver so on the hour drive to the house he stopped to show me some cool sites. I dont know if most people know this but Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3 were filmed here. So I got to see where they shot the scene were Johnny Depp is running down the beach from the tribe (that is the main photo of the post). The scene where they are sword fighting on the giant wheel, they made this special path through the jungle so it would roll right. And the river where they go to find the witch Calypso. (Other photos are in the training album). So all that was pretty cool to see.

My host family is great. There is Wayne  the dad. Marylinn  the mom, Marcus  16 year old boy, Salina  10 year old girl, and Whitney  6 year old girl. They also have a 22-year-old daughter but she just left in December to go to school in Russia, I met her on Skype the other day. Its crazy she doesnt get to come back for 5 years, after hearing that, 2 years doesnt sound as long. But I think having her going through the same thing really helps my family understand me, and the girls are excited to have another big sister too. Mostly we play games and hangout. They like to show me around the town and get icey pops. Theses amazing popsicle like things their neighbor sells, I always get coconut, and I think they might be my favorite thing here so far.  Tonight they took me to KFC as a special treat; it was really fun and a very nice gesture.

Everyone here is so nice! Everyone says hi to their neighbors and stops to chat. They yell hello out the window as they drive by friends, and everyone seems to know everyone else! Matthew, our neighbor, got me a mango from the tree across the street yesterday when he found out I hadnt had one yet. He just climbed up there and got one for me. And today we I got off the bus he was walking by and had a coconut for me! Like I said they are all so friendly.  

We started training in the capital yesterday, which is about an hour commute for me. The buses here are crazy here!!! On Monday I really wasnt sure where to get off the bus when I got to my town  so I just asked the driver if he knew Waynes house, and sure enough he dropped me off right in front of the house. Like I said, everyone knows everyone! Today I found the right stop on my own so I was very proud of myself.

Anyways that is probably long enough for now, like I said so much to tell. Talk to you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment